With over 100,000 dead and the use chemical weapons confirmed, the Syrian Civil War has provoked a potential military response from the US and its allies. But the path ahead remains unclear, and neighboring countries — including Lebanon, Jordan and Turkey — are facing increasing security threats and economic challenges emanating from the unrest.
The Aspen Institute Middle East Programs and the University of Denver's Center for Middle East Studies invite you to "Syria and the Future of the Levant," the inaugural forum of the Aspen Institute's Levant Program. The discussion will focus on the internal and regional dynamics of the Syrian war, and ways US and international partners can contain regional spillover.
The discussion will feature two panels and lunch will be served.
Keynote Address: Madeleine K. Albright, former US Secretary of State, and chair, The Albright Stonebridge Group
"Regional Spillover and Implications for US Policy" (Chatham House Rule)
- Dr. Tamara Wittes, Director, Saban Center for Middle East Policy, Brookings Institution
- Amb. Dennis Ross, Counselor, The Washington Institute on Near East Policy and former Special Middle East Coordinator under President Clinton
- Dr. Kathleen Hicks, Former US Principal Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Policy, US Department of Defense
- Amb. Maura Connelly, Outgoing US Ambassador to Lebanon
- Colin Kahl, Senior Fellow, Center for New American Security
"Understanding the Opposition: Opportunities for Engagement" (Chatham House Rule)
- Andrew Tabler, Senior Fellow, Program on Arab Politics, The Washington Institute for Near East Policy
- Amb. Chris Hill, Dean, Josef Korbel School of International Studies, University of Denver
- Dr. Steven Heydemann, Senior Adviser, Middle East Initiatives, US Institute of Peace
- Mohammad Al Abdallah, Executive Director, Syria Justice and Accountability Center
- Hisham Melhem, Washington Bureau Chief, Al Arabiya News Channel
Please note that the panels will be under the Chatham House Rule but the opening remarks will be public.