The Aspen Institute’s Health Innovation Project and The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center will co-host a discussion, in partnership with ThinkWellPoint, entitled, “Reinventing Health Care: Frontline Innovations Transforming Local Care Delivery.” This will be the first of 3 regional events: Columbus, OH, New York, NY, and San Francisco, CA.
Samuel Nussbaum, MD, Executive Vice President, Clinical Health Policy and Chief Medical Officer, WellPoint, Inc., will provide the keynote address for the event, which welcomes leading clinicians, business leaders, public health officials and policymakers from Ohio and across the Midwest.
At the forum, speakers will provide an overview of the Health Innovation Project’s report, "Reinventing Health Care: The Barriers to Innovation," first released in Washington, D.C., in March 2012. Report authors will review their findings on recommendations to empower consumers in their own health decisions and engage physicians and providers in the pursuit of innovation.
• Basit Chaudhry, MD, PhD, Medical Scientist, IBM Research
• Dave deBronkart, e-Patient Dave, Cancer Patient and Blogger
• Kavita Patel, MD, MS, Managing Director for Clinical Transformation and Delivery, Engelberg Center for Health Care Reform, The Brookings Institution
A panel of local experts will follow and highlight efforts happening on the frontlines of care to improve patient health in Ohio and across the Midwest. Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center will showcase some of their innovative programs. In addition, recipients of Health Care Innovation Challenge grants from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation will give overviews of their nationally recognized efforts to improve patient care while reducing health spending.
• Steven Gabbe, MD, Senior Vice President for Health Sciences, Chief Executive Officer, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
• Pam Carr, Executive Director, Partners for Kids