Policymakers, physicians, innovators, artists, scientists, researchers, journalists, and other experts will speak in Aspen, CO, from June 21-24
Contacts: Zach St. Louis
The Aspen Institute
(202) 736-3526 | email@example.com
(202) 266-7714 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Washington, DC, May 2, 2018 — More than 100 groundbreaking thinkers and leaders will gather at the fifth annual Spotlight Health to discuss the cutting-edge health issues of our time. Spotlight Health is the opening segment of the annual Aspen Ideas Festival and will take place from June 21-24, 2018, in Aspen, CO. The Atlantic is the official media partner of Spotlight Health.
EDITOR’S NOTE: A limited number of press passes remain available. To apply, please fill out the form here: http://www.aspenideas.org/festival/press.
Speakers will continue to be added in the coming weeks. A complete list is available at www.aspenideas.org/speakers. Among the featured speakers are:
- Seema Verma, Administrator, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Lizzie Dorfman, Technical Program Manager, Google Brain
- Steve Bullock, Governor, State of Montana
- Gary Reedy, CEO, American Cancer Society
- Ann Veneman, Former US Secretary of Agriculture
- Former Executive Director, UNICEF
- Jerome Adams, 20th US Surgeon General, US Department of Health and Human Services
- Larry Merlo, President and CEO, CVS Health
- Agnes Igoye, National Coordinator Prevention of Trafficking in Persons, Ugandan Government
- Todd Stern, Former Special Envoy for Climate Change, US Department of State
- Bill Thomas, Founder, The Eden Alternative; Creator, The Green House Project
- Gregg Treinish, Founder and Executive Director, Adventure Scientists
- Ndidi Nwuneli, Co-Founder, AACE Food Processing & Distribution
- Garth Graham, President, Aetna Foundation; Vice President of Community Health, Aetna
- Seth Berkley, CEO, GAVI Alliance
- Lanhee Chen, David and Diane Steffy Research Fellow, Hoover Institution
- Vanessa Mason, Co-Founder and Managing Director, P2Health Ventures; Founder and CEO, Riveted Partners
- Ted Koppel, Senior Contributor, “Sunday Morning,” CBS
- Atul Gawande, Professor, Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health and Harvard Medical School
- Karen DeSalvo, Former Acting Assistant Secretary for Health, US Department of Health and Human Services
- Mark Smolinski, President, Ending Pandemics
- Tolullah Oni, Associate Professor and Public Health Physician Epidemiologist, University of Cape Town
Spotlight Health, which will feature one-on-one interviews, panel conversations, film screenings, and more, is a three-day deep dive into global and domestic health. Spotlight Health 2018 will explore four main thematic areas: The Cutting Edge of Medicine and Science, Disrupting Health Systems, Healthy Communities, and Our Planet, Our Health. More about this year’s program can be found at aspenideas.org/spotlighthealth. Limited passes remain; to register and purchase your pass, please visit aspenideas.org/festival/register.
Over the course of Spotlight Health, a robust and diverse audience is expected in Aspen, CO, and many more will be able to join the conversation online. The Atlantic will report on Spotlight Health in a special report at TheAtlantic.com. All video and audio clips of on-stage conversations will be on aspenideas.org and TheAtlantic.com/live, and on the Aspen Institute’s YouTube channel. Regular updates from the Festival in the run-up and during the event will be on Facebook.com/aspenideas and on Twitter at @AspenIdeas, @AtlanticLIVE, and with #SpotlightHealth. Additionally, discussions can be followed all year on the Aspen Ideas Festival blog and on the Aspen Ideas To Go podcast.
Presenting underwriters for the 2018 Aspen Ideas Festival Spotlight Health are America’s Biopharmaceutical Companies, Johnson & Johnson, Mount Sinai Health System, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, and UPMC. Supporting underwriters are American Hospital Association, diaTribe, Pfizer, and The Commonwealth Fund. Annenberg Foundation, GlaxoSmithKline, Horizon Pharma, and The Wonderful Company are contributing underwriters.
About the Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, DC. Its mission is to foster leadership based on enduring values and to provide a nonpartisan venue for dealing with critical issues. The Institute is based in Washington, DC; Aspen, Colorado; and on the Wye River on Maryland’s Eastern Shore. It also has offices in New York City and an international network of partners. For more information, visit www.aspeninstitute.org.
About The Atlantic
Founded in 1857 and today one of the fastest growing media platforms in the industry, The Atlantic has throughout its history championed the power of big ideas and continues to shape global debate across print, digital, events, and video platforms. With its award-winning digital presence TheAtlantic.com and CityLab.com on cities around the world, The Atlantic is a multimedia forum on the most critical issues of our times—from politics, business, urban affairs, and the economy, to technology, arts, and culture. The Atlantic was the 2016 National Magazine of the Year. Bob Cohn is President of The Atlantic and Jeffrey Goldberg is Editor in Chief.