Watch the 2020 Aspen Security Forum online and join the conversation on social media
Contact: Jon Purves
Senior Media Relations Manager
The Aspen Institute
Washington, DC, August 4, 2020 – The 2020 Aspen Security Forum begins at 10:00am ET on Tuesday, August 4 as a free-to-access digital event. Programming will run throughout each day, concluding at 6:00pm ET on Thursday, August 6. The Forum, which is organized by the Aspen Strategy Group, will feature world leaders, Trump administration officials, business leaders, and prominent journalists addressing critical questions about national security and foreign policy.
View the agenda online at https://www.aspensecurity2020.com/attend.
Speakers on the first day of the Forum include Scott Morrison, Prime Minister of Australia; Cui Tiankai, Ambassador of China to the U.S.; Kelly Craft, Ambassador of the U.S. to the U.N.; Condoleezza Rice, former U.S. Secretary of State; and John Bolton, former Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs.
Ways to follow the Aspen Security Forum:
- Register here to sign up for specific days of the Forum, which is being held via Zoom. Participants in the Zoom session will be able to submit questions to speakers and will be visible on camera. There is a maximum number of participants allowed in each session, and individuals will not have access once that limit is reached. To ensure as many people have the opportunity to access the Forum as possible, organizers ask attendees to log out if they are not actively viewing sessions.
- If Zoom is at capacity or for sharing content online, each day of the Forum will broadcast live on YouTube. Click the following links for Day 1, Day 2, and Day 3. Footage will remain available after the live broadcast.
- Conversations with NBC News and MSNBC journalists will also be streamed on NBC News NOW, NBCNews.com, MSNBC.com and on the NBC News NOW channel on Peacock, NBCUniversal’s new streaming service. More information here.
- Individual sessions will be posted up to 24 hours after initial broadcast at aspensecurity2020.com.
Ways to cover the Aspen Security Forum
- Media in the Zoom sessions will have the opportunity to appear onscreen and submit questions to speakers.
- Press are authorized to share and embed the live YouTube feed, crediting the Aspen Security Forum.
- For broadcast media: networks will be able to take footage from the YouTube livestream after individual conversations have concluded, crediting the Aspen Security Forum. Please inform [email protected] for permissions, if planning to broadcast Forum content. Individual video files will also be available 24 hours or less after original broadcast.
- Join the conversation on social media with #AspenSecurity and follow the Forum on Twitter @AspenSecurity and @AspenInstitute.
NBC News and MSNBC return as exclusive media partners for the fourth consecutive year. Interviews will be conducted by Lester Holt, Anchor of NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt and Dateline NBC; Andrea Mitchell, NBC News Chief Foreign Affairs Correspondent and Host of Andrea Mitchell Reports on MSNBC; Kristen Welker, NBC News White House Correspondent; Carol Lee, NBC News Correspondent; and Courtney Kube, NBC News Pentagon Correspondent.
Additional distinguished moderating journalists include Susan Glasser, David Ignatius, Margaret Brennan, David Sanger, Peter Baker, Jim Sciutto, Gillian Tett, Franklin Foer, Nick Schifrin, Eli Lake, Gerald Seib, Gideon Rachman, and Cecilia Kang.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Mark Esper, U.S. Secretary of Defense
- Scott Morrison, Prime Minister of Australia
- Kyriakos Mitsotakis, Prime Minister of Greece
- Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General, WHO
- Paulo Guedes, Minister of the Economy of Brazil
- Vivian Balakrishnan, Foreign Minister of Singapore
- Cui Tiankai, Ambassador of China to the U.S.
- Keisha Lance Bottoms, Mayor of Atlanta
- Brian Hook, U.S. Special Representative for Iran and Senior Advisor to the Secretary
- Kelly Craft, Ambassador of the U.S. to the United Nations
- Tony Blinken, former Deputy Secretary of State
- Jerry Brown, Executive Chairman, Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists and former Governor of California
- Lawrence H. Summers, President Emeritus, Harvard University
- Laurie Garrett, Author, The Coming Plague
- John Bolton, former Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs
- Tom Donilon, former U.S. National Security Advisor
- Michèle Flournoy, former Under Secretary of Defense for Policy
- Mark Warner, Ranking Member, Senate Select Committee on Intelligence
- Wes Moore, CEO, Robin Hood Foundation
- Wendy Sherman, Director, Center for Public Leadership at the Harvard Kennedy School and former Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs
- Francis Suarez, Mayor of Miami
- Steve Hadley, former Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs
- Kathleen Hicks, Senior Vice President; Henry A. Kissinger Chair; Director, International Security Program, CSIS
- Nicholas Kristof, Op-Ed Columnist, The New York Times
- Mitch Landrieu, former Mayor of New Orleans
- Mira Rapp-Hooper, Stephen A. Schwarzman Senior Fellow for Asia Studies, the Council on Foreign Relations
- Laura Rosenberger, Director, Alliance for Security Democracy, the German Marshall Fund of the United States
- Shivshankar Menon, Former NSA to the Prime Minister of India
- Julianne Smith, former Deputy National Security Advisor to Vice President Joe Biden
- Christian Brose, Chief Strategy Officer, Anduril Industries
- Elizabeth Economy, C.V. Starr Senior Fellow and Director for Asia Studies, Council on Foreign Relations
- Renee DiResta, Research Manager, Stanford Internet Observatory
- Mike Brown, Director, Defense Innovation Unit
- Joseph Nye, Harvard University Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus
- Condoleezza Rice, former Secretary of State
- Nicholas Burns, Harvard Professor and Executive Director, the Aspen Strategy Group
- Anja Manuel, Co-founder and partner, Rice, Hadley, Gates, & Manuel and Director, the Aspen Strategy Group
The Aspen Strategy Group provides a non-partisan forum to explore the pre-eminent national security and foreign policy challenges facing the nation. Its cross-disciplinary and high-level examination of policy strategies to address emerging topics makes it a crucial resource for the American and global policy communities.
The Aspen Institute is a global nonprofit organization committed to realizing a free, just, and equitable society. Founded in 1949, the Institute drives change through dialogue, leadership, and action to help solve the most important challenges facing the United States and the world. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Institute has a campus in Aspen, Colorado, and an international network of partners. For more information, visit www.aspeninstitute.org.
As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, the Aspen Institute is nonpartisan and does not endorse, support, or oppose political candidates or parties. Further, the views and opinions of our guests and speakers do not necessarily reflect those of the Aspen Institute.