Bloomberg Economics is partnering with the Aspen Institute to produce a virtual gathering on February 22-23 that will ask how to build a truly inclusive post-pandemic economy
Contact: Jon Purves
Senior Media Relations Manager
The Aspen Institute
Aspen, CO & Washington, DC, February 16, 2021––The Aspen Institute today announced the details of Aspen Ideas: RE$ET, two days of online programming that will give voice to the bold ideas with positive and long-term consequences for the American economy. In the wake of a pandemic-induced recession that has disproportionately impacted people of color, small businesses, front line workers, and women, RE$ET will explore proposals to offer more robust and equitable opportunity in the job market, in business growth, and growing America’s resilience to future setbacks. The free participatory event will take place February 22-23, featuring leading economists, business leaders, entrepreneurs, and voices from main streets across the USA.
Bloomberg Economics is the official partner of Aspen Ideas: RE$ET. Bloomberg editors, journalists and economists will serve as moderators and thought partners. Programming and ideas from the event will be shared on the Bloomberg Terminal and through Bloomberg’s digital channels.
Participants can register and view the schedule at: https://aspenideas-reset.splashthat.com/
RE$ET will be co-hosted by Joanna Smith Ramani, Managing Director of the Aspen Institute Financial Security Program and Scarlet Fu, Chief Markets Correspondent, Bloomberg News. Confirmed speakers include:
- Nicholas Burns, Executive Director, Aspen Strategy Group
- Bill Bynum, Chief Executive Officer, Hope Credit Union Enterprise Corporation
- Jean Case, Chairman, National Geographic Society & CEO, Case Foundation
- Congressman James Clyburn, U.S. House Majority Whip
- Ambassador Michael Froman, Vice Chairman, Mastercard; Former US Trade Representative
- Professor Adrienne Harris, Gates Foundation Senior Research Fellow; Former Whitehouse Advisor, National Economic Council
- Jamie Kalamarides, President, Prudential Group Insurance
- Mariana Mazzucato,Professor in the Economics of Innovation and Public Value, University College London; Author, Mission Economy: A Moonshot Guide to Changing Capitalism
- Gina McCarthy, White House National Climate Advisor
- Dave Rank, Senior Advisor, The Cohen Group and Former Deputy Chief of Mission, US Embassy to China
- Amanda Renteria, CEO, Code for America
- Reshma Saujani, Founder, Girls Who Code
- Dr. Rajiv Shah, President, Rockefeller Foundation
- Senator Tina Smith, U.S. Senator, Minnesota
- Betsey Stevenson, Professor of Economics and Public Policy, University of Michigan Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy
The full speaker list can be viewed here.
“This pandemic has been devastating, particularly on those who were more economically vulnerable and less financially secure to begin with” said Kitty Boone, Executive Director of the Aspen Ideas Festival. “We should be under no illusions about the scale of the challenge ahead of us, nor can we neglect the power of this moment to address it. Urgent times require urgent action. But there is also opportunity – Aspen Ideas: RE$ET asks if we have an opening to create a fair, inclusive, and sustainable economy, and brings forward some of the best minds to explore how we might get there.”
Programming will feature plenary sessions incorporating speaker discussions, shared stories and interviews featuring communities across the U.S., research and data visualizations, and interactive sessions for participants to engage with each other. Three key “Resetting” themes across the plenaries will explore equity and inclusion in our financial systems, the future of the economy in a climate challenged world, and how the United States can regain its international standing.
Aspen Ideas: RE$ET is generously supported by the Mastercard Center for Inclusive Growth, PayPal, and Prudential. The event comes from the team behind the Aspen Ideas Festival, the Aspen Institute’s signature summer event that usually take place annually in Aspen, CO. This event is the first in a series of virtual programming planned throughout 2021. Aspen Ideas: Health will take place April 27-29, followed a virtual Aspen Ideas Festival this summer and another as yet unannounced event in the fall. There is also the possibility for a live event to take place later in the year, should circumstances allow.
The Aspen Institute is a global nonprofit organization committed to realizing a free, just, and equitable society. Founded in 1949, the Institute drives change through dialogue, leadership, and action to help solve the most important challenges facing the United States and the world. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Institute has a campus in Aspen, Colorado, and an international network of partners. For more information, visit www.aspeninstitute.org