Featured Video and Audio:
The Race to 2012
- The best in the media reflect on the 2012 campaign, featuring Joe Klein, Jonathan Martin, Ronald Brownstein, John Dickerson, Betsy Fischer, Mike Allen, Mark McKinnon, and Mark Whitaker.
- We the People: Making a Democracy Work
Insight into how a democracy works and why it sometimes fails, with Justice Stephen Breyer.
Additional featured videos can be found at: http://www.aifestival.org/
Quotes from the Festival:
“If I had been the Prime Minister—and I will be—I would have re-launched the negotiations after the elections. We didn’t fail, we didn’t reach a dead end, they just stopped.” —Tzipi Livni, Head, Kadima; Leader of the Opposition, Israel
“Social media is a mutual platform – you see the profound and the profane at the same time – but there is something incredibly spiritually transforming when you connect people on a righteous cause.” —Cory Booker, Mayor, Newark, NJ
“We need to restore our economic mojo.” —Henry Paulson, Former Secretary, US Department of the Treasury
“There are radioactive elements in coal, that if you trap the noxious stuff in flue gas, the release of that radioactivity is 50 to 100 times higher than what might come out of a nuclear power plant.” —Steven Chu, Secretary, US Department of Energy
“The democracy clock in Iran is ticking with chilling slowness.” —Leon Wieseltier, Literary Editor, The New Republic
“No secretary of the treasury can allow the federal debt payments to lapse.” —Alan Greenspan, Former Chairman, US Federal Reserve
“Now we have more inequality than Europe. The American dream it seems, sadly, is alive and well and living in Denmark.” —Michael Sandel, Professor of Government, Harvard University
“Young people…don’t see politics as a way to impact the public good. And that is a big problem in a democracy.” —Arianna Huffington, Co-Founder and Editor-in-Chief, The Huffington Post
The Ideas Report on TheAtlantic.com
More Festival coverage is also available from The Atlantic, which produces the Aspen Ideas Festival in partnership with the Aspen Institute. The Atlantic’s “Ideas Special Report” includes:
- Video from the Aspen Ideas Festival
- A “Today at Aspen” photo gallery
- An #AspenIdeas Twitter feed
- Blog posts highlighting ideas from all sections of TheAtlantic.com, and responses to a new question they put to their readers each day.
Today’s Select Highlights:
*all times are MDT
- 7:45 am – Powering the Dream: The History and Promise of Green Technology
- 8:00 am – Physicians for the Future: What Defines a “Good” Doctor?
James Woolliscroft, David Agus, Gail Morrison, Ezekial Emanuel (moderator)
- 9:00 am – Can Social Media Benefit the Greater Good?
Lance Armstrong, Peter Cashmore, Matt Flannery, Chris Hughes, Doug Ulman, Jerry Murdock (moderator)
- 9:00 am – The American City in the 21st Century
Cory Booker, Gavin Newsom, Antonio Villaraigosa, Peter Trick (moderator)
- 10:30 am – Mission Accomplished?
Rajiv Chandrasekaran, David Rohde, Christopher Hill, Andrea Mitchell (moderator)
- 10:30 am – What is the Role of Economic Institutions in Economic Growth and Stability?
Robert Steel, David Rubenstein, Alan Greenspan, Francis J. Henry Jr. (moderator)
- 12:00 pm – Europe and America Since 9/11 and Future Trends in Foreign Policy
Nigel Sheinwald, Nicholas Burns (moderator)
- 1:15 pm – After the “Arab Spring”
Nabil Fahmy, Marwan Muasher, Dahlia Mogahed, HM Queen Noor, Nicholas Burns (moderator)
- 2:45 pm – In Conversation: Secretary of Agriculture Thomas Vilsack
Ray Suarez (moderator)
- 2:45 pm – The Freedom Agenda Since 9/11
Presentation by Reuters Photographers
Jane Harman, John Negroponte, Nigel Sheinwald, Fred Hiatt (moderator)
- 2:45 pm – What is the Future of Cancer?
Siddhartha Mukherjee, David Agus (moderator)
- 4:00 pm – In Conversation: Haley Barbour, Governor of Mississippi
Haley Barbour, Chris Matthews (interviewer)
- 5:00 pm – In Conversation: President Bill Clinton
Ronald Brownstein (interviewer)
- 7:30 pm – A Rope and a Prayer: A Kidnapping From Two Sides
Kristen Mulvihill, David Rohde, Jeffrey Goldberg (moderator)
- 8:00 pm – Special Event: Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis
Benedict Music Tent
- Aspen Ideas Festival Website: www.aifestival.org
- The Atlantic Ideas Special Report: http://www.theatlantic.com/special-report/ideas/
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/aifestival | #AspenIdeas
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/aspenideas
- Flickr: www.flickr.com/aspeninstitute
- Tumblr: http://aifestival.tumblr.com/
*Editors note: Video and images from the Aspen Ideas Festival are available upon request.*
For more information about the Aspen Ideas Festival, please contact:
*Special thanks to the Isberian Rug Company of Aspen for furnishing the rug used at the Aspen Ideas Festival.*