Follow the opening days of the Aspen Ideas Festival online and on social media.
Contact: Jon Purves
Senior Media Relations Associate
The Aspen Institute
202 736 2111 | firstname.lastname@example.org
202 266-7714 | email@example.com
Aspen, CO, June 19, 2018 – Spotlight Health, which opens the Aspen Ideas Festival, runs from June 21–24. Presented by the Aspen Institute and its partner The Atlantic, the three-day health conference features an exceptional mix of inspiring and provocative experts who dive into topics of medicine and health.
This year, tracks will address the Cutting Edge of Medicine and Science, Disrupting Health Systems, Healthy Communities, and Our Planet, Our Health. The full schedule of events and list of speakers was recently announced and can be viewed online here: https://www.aspenideas.org/schedule
More than 200 presenters will gather at the fifth annual Spotlight Health including US Surgeon General Jerome Adams, Google Brain Technical Program Manager Lizzie Dorfman, CBS Contributor Ted Koppel, Former US Secretary of Agriculture Ann Veneman, Harvard Medical School professor Atul Gawande, Former Special Envoy for Climate Change Todd Stern, founder and chairman of United States of Care Andy Slavitt, Film Director, Producer and Screenwriter Ava DuVernay, and many more.
To inquire about video coverage, please contact Jon Purves by email at Jon.Purves@aspeninstitute.org
For those not able to attend in person, there are a variety of ways to participate in Spotlight Health online. A number of sessions will be streamed live on the Aspen Ideas Festival website, including;
- June 21 at 4:45pm MT: Spotlight Health Opening and Welcome with Larry Merlo, Bernard J. Tyson, and Bertha Coombs.
- June 23 at 9:10am MT: Surgeon, Author, and Researcher Atul Gawande in conversation with Judy Woodruff.
- June 23 at 12:00pm MT: A conversation with Todd Stern, the Paris Climate Accord’s lead US negotiator.
- June 23 at 5:30pm MT: Legislators who built Obamacare look back and ahead, with Henry Waxman, Sander Levin, George Miller, Max Baucus, Christopher Dodd, and Julie Rovner.
- June 24 at 10:15am MT: Spotlight Health Closing Session with Ai-jen Poo, Ava DuVernay, Samhita Mukhopadhyay, Atul Gawande, Lucy Kalanithi, Cory Booker, and Jeffrey Goldberg.
Other ways to engage with the Festival include:
- Twitter: Follow @AspenIdeas and @AtlanticLIVE, and tweet your thoughts using #SpotlightHealth and #AspenIdeas.
- Facebook: Like us at com/AspenIdeas and Facebook.com/TheAtlantic, and follow Facebook.com/AtlanticLIVE and Facebook.com/AspenInstitute.
- Instagram: See our behind-the-scenes photos and videos, plus show us your point of view using #SpotlightHealth and #AspenIdeas. com/AspenInstitute and Instagram.com/AtlanticLive
- Snapchat: Find us on Snapchat at “aspeninstitute” and check out behind-the-scenes, exclusive video content
- YouTube: Subscribe to watch highlights from your favorite discussions or catch full sessions you missed. Youtube.com/AspenInstitute and YouTube.com/AtlanticLIVEvideo
- LinkedIn: Follow along and join the conversation on the Aspen Ideas Festival LinkedIn Storyline using #AspenIdeas: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/news/inside-the-aspen-ideas-festival-1402482/
- Reddit: Ask speakers anything during the Festival — look for notifications of AMAs on Twitter at @AspenIdeas
- Podcasts: Listen to memorable moments from the Festival with the Aspen Ideas To Go podcast. http://as.pn/ideastogo
- Websites: Video, audio, and transcripts from Aspen Ideas can be viewed at aspenideas.org and select sessions will also be made available on www.theatlantic.com/live.
Presenting underwriters for the 2018 Aspen Ideas Festival Spotlight Health are America’s Biopharmaceutical Companies, Johnson & Johnson, Mount Sinai Health System, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, and UPMC. Supporting underwriters are American Hospital Association, The diaTribe Foundation, Pfizer, and The Commonwealth Fund. Contributing underwriters are Annenberg Center for Health Sciences, GSK, Horizon Pharma, and The Wonderful Company.
About the Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, DC. Its mission is to foster leadership based on enduring values and to provide a nonpartisan venue for dealing with critical issues. The Institute is based in Washington, DC; Aspen, Colorado; and on the Wye River on Maryland’s Eastern Shore. It also has offices in New York City and an international network of partners. For more information, visit www.aspeninstitute.org.
About The Atlantic
Founded in 1857 and today one of the fastest growing media platforms in the industry, The Atlantic has throughout its history championed the power of big ideas and continues to shape global debate across print, digital, events, and video platforms. With its award-winning digital presence TheAtlantic.com and CityLab.com on cities around the world, The Atlantic is a multimedia forum on the most critical issues of our times—from politics, business, urban affairs, and the economy, to technology, arts, and culture. The Atlantic was the 2016 National Magazine of the Year. Bob Cohn is President of The Atlantic and Jeffrey Goldberg is Editor in Chief.