Aspen Institute event will announce major new initiatives to build healthy communities through sports
Contact: Jon Solomon
Sports & Society Program
Aug. 30, 2017 – Major League Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred will be the featured speaker at the Aspen Institute’s Project Play Summit on Sept. 6 at the Newseum in Washington D.C. The Project Play Summit is the nation’s premier gathering of thought leaders at the intersection of youth, sport, and health.
The day-long event, which is sold out for the third straight year, will take measure of the collective progress made in the past year in growing access to quality sport activity. Major announcements on new youth sports initiatives will occur, along with thoughtful dialogue on pertinent issues impacting kids in sports. Other speakers include:
- Chris Kluwe, Former NFL Punter/esports Entrepreneur
- Angela Ruggiero, Hockey Hall of Famer/Co-Founder of Sports Innovation Lab
- Chiney Ogwumike, WNBA Player
- Steve Keener, President/CEO, Little League Baseball
- Rick Ankiel, Former Major League Baseball Player/Author
- Harold Reynolds, MLB Network Broadcaster/Former Major League Baseball Player
- Dr. David Satcher, Former U.S. Surgeon General
- Shellie Pfohl, CEO, U.S. Center for SafeSport
- Dan Hicks, NBC Sports Broadcaster
- Rebecca Lowe, NBC Sports Broadcaster
- Reece Whitley, 17-Year-Old Swimming Star
The Aspen Institute Sports & Society Program will reveal exclusive data and insights on sport participation trends nationally. Also, the State of Play: Baltimore report will be released with findings on the state of youth sports in Baltimore and ideas on how to provide more children with sports opportunities.
More information about the Project Play Summit, including an agenda and speaker list, can be found at: https://www.aspeninstitute.org/events/2017-project-play-summit/summit-day-1/. A livestream of key sessions will be available at as.pn/projectplay2017.
Press and cameras are welcome. Most sessions will include a Q&A and continuing conversations after the panel. Join the conversation live via Twitter at @AspenInstSports and @AspenInstitute, and use #ProjectPlay.
WHEN: Wednesday, Sept. 6, 2017, 8:25 am-4:30 pm EDT. Lunch is available at noon.
WHERE: Knight Conference Center at the Newseum, 555 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20001. Sessions are on the 7th and 8th floors of the conference center. Registration opens at 8 am on the 7th floor.
RSVP: If interested in attending, please contact Jon Solomon, Aspen Institute Sports & Society Program editorial director, prior to the event. Jon can be reached at [email protected] or (205) 572-2907.