How do we foster civil discourse on campus about the most important questions facing our democracy?
In a longstanding collaboration with Association of American Colleges and Universities, The Wye Faculty Seminar engages faculty, senior academic administrators, and college presidents in an exchange of ideas about liberal arts education, citizenship, and the global polity. The Seminar meets a central need of faculty in liberal arts institutions—to exchange ideas with colleagues from other colleges and other disciplines while probing ideas and values that underlie their teaching and the lives they lead as liberally educated persons. Modeled in the tradition of The Aspen Institute Executive Seminars, each Wye Faculty Seminar strives:
- to gather a diverse group of thoughtful scholars in intellectually rigorous roundtable discussions – truly around the table to converse with rather than confront one another;
- to explore great texts stretching from ancient to contemporary times, not merely for artistry of language but for the power of ideas on fundamental issues in our society, and;
- to translate ideas into action suitable to the challenges of our age.
We encourage participation by professors representing a wide variety of disciplines. In past seminars, specialties have ranged from the classics, languages, history, drama, and philosophy, to economics, political science, biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics.
Outcomes and Impact
Past participants have emphasized the following outcomes and impact of their participation in the Wye Faculty Seminar:
- Personal and professional refreshment;
- Deeper and broader knowledge of interdisciplinary approaches to classroom discussions;
- Exposure to diverse academic and personal perspectives.
An example of past curriculum can be found here.
2018 Wye Faculty Seminar Dates
July 15-20, 2018
Faculty are encouraged to register before February 15, 2018, but no later than May 15, 2018
Cost to attend in 2018:
All costs include lodging, meals, group events, and materials. Airfare and transportation to and from the closest airport is not included; early flight booking is strongly recommended.
- Full participant = $2,975
- Accompanying spouse/guest = $2,100 (shared room, all meals)
If you would like to bring a guest, please contact Kalissa Hendrickson at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional registration instructions.