In honor of the upcoming Labor Day holiday, we wanted to share some of the latest additions of new programs to our UpSkilling Playbook for Employers. This announcement represents our third major update to the Playbook since its release, and our biggest one yet.
2018 is proving to be an incredible year for company-funded education, training, and development benefits. In the past few months alone, dozens of companies have launched or expanded their upskilling programs, as employers continue to recognize the value of training and educating their workforce. The diverse initiatives they’ve undertaken demonstrate how different models of upskilling can be successful for businesses across all industries, and we’re proud to share these developments with you.
- Accenture’s Skills to Succeed initiative advances employment and entrepreneurship opportunities, leveraging digital innovation to help close employment gaps at scale. Added to Pre-employment Training.
- Amazon’s AWS Educate program helps veterans transition into the civilian workforce and develop the skills to work in cloud computing. Added to Employee Training.
- Aon’s apprenticeship in professional services allows young people to develop vital skills in the workplace and earn a competitive salary while they learn. Added to Apprenticeship.
- Boeing announced a suite of new workforce development programs, including an online network of resources designed to make learning more accessible to employees at all levels of the company. Added to Certification & College Degrees.
- Discover’s new education assistance benefit, The Discover College Commitment, helps employees earn a bachelor’s degree at no cost. Added to College Degrees.
- Disney’s new Aspire program gives hourly employees access to a wide array of tuition-free education programs. Added to High School Completion/Equivalency and College Degrees.
- Disney’s CODE: Rosie program gives women employees an opportunity to switch careers and join one of the company’s technical groups. Added to Employee Training.
- Lowe’s Track to the Trades program connects employees with up to $2,500 in tuition assistance for online pre-apprenticeship training. Added to Apprenticeship.
- ManpowerGroup pledged to upskill 130,000 workers over the next five years through its MyPath program, which provides opportunities in education, training, and certification. Added to College Degrees & Employee Training.
- McDonald’s new Youth Opportunity initiative aims to reduce barriers to youth employment through pre-employment training, employment opportunities, and workplace development. Added to Apprenticeship & Pre-employment Training.
- McDonald’s Archways to Opportunity education program celebrated some major milestones recently, as the number of successful graduates continues to rise. Added to College Degrees.
- NC3, the National Coalition of Certification Centers, announced new partnerships in manufacturing and offered key insights on producing a sustainable, skilled workforce. Added to Certifications.
- PepsiCo announced a $4 million grant to the Robin Hood Foundation to support education and training programs for young women and girls in the Bronx. Added to Pre-employment Training.
- Perris, California, is giving city employees the opportunity to earn a free college degree through its partnership with Study.com, Civic Scholars. Added to College Degrees.
- UPS’ Metropolitan College program celebrated 20 years of success, giving thousands of Kentucky workers the chance to advance their education. Added to College Degrees.
- Walmart’s new $1-per-day education program gives associates access to affordable degrees in Business or Supply Chain Management. Added to College Degrees.
Earlier this year, we noted how the upskilling movement is gaining momentum, and today’s announcements proves this trend continues. Our thanks to the employers, education providers, and nonprofits who are making this important progress possible. We’re excited to see what the future holds.
For more news and resources, I encourage you to visit upskillamerica.org and check out our UpSkilling Playbook for Employers, which was made possible through a generous grant from the Walmart Foundation.
Tweet Dozens of companies have launched or expanded their #upskilling programs. Check out new examples from @Accenture, @amazon, @Aon_plc, @Boeing, @Discover, @Disney, @manpower, @McDonalds, @NC3partners, @PepsiCo, @Lowes, @UPS, @Walmart, & more!
Join the upskilling movement
UpSkill America is an employer-led movement to expand opportunity for America’s workers and allow our economy and communities to thrive. To learn more about our work, follow us on social media and join our mailing list to receive new resources and announcements.