With 120 leaders from 90 foundations in attendance, the 2019 Artist-Endowed Foundation Leadership Forum assembled on November 6 at the Jewish Museum in New York City. An invitational symposium, the Forum convenes senior staff and board leaders to discuss key issues and innovations in practice and policy that are influencing the field’s charitable impact in art stewardship and cultural philanthropy. This year’s event featured celebrated artist, activist, children’s author, and educator Faith Ringgold, President of the Anyone Can Fly Foundation, as the Keynote Conversation guest and was presented by the Hoffman Forum in cooperation with the Aspen Institute Artist-Endowed Foundations Initiative/AEFI and University of Miami School of Law. The day concluded with tours of the exhibitions Rachel Feinstein: Maiden, Mother, Crone and Edith Halpert and the Rise of American Art.
In addition to fostering collegial exchange among the field’s senior leaders and building a shared body of knowledge about effective practice, the Forum aims to inform the research, publication, and professional education programs of the Aspen Institute’s Artist-Endowed Foundations Initiative/AEFI. With sessions incorporating presentations and discussions among foundation leaders, scholars, experts, and thought leaders, topics on the 2019 Forum program included:
• Navigating the Art Market
• Preparing for the Transition: From the Living Artist’s Studio to Artist-Endowed Foundation
• Considerations in Disaster Preparedness for AEFs
• Options for Impact in Socially Responsible Investing
• Posthumous Production: Why, When, How, and Who Decides?
• Advancing Diversity: Reflections on Lessons Learned
• Advancing Diversity: Reflections on Effective Practice
• Collaborating with Colleges and Universities
• Closed Door Conversation: Confidential Questions on Ethics and Conflicts of Interest
For information on the Aspen Institute Artist-Endowed Foundations Initiative/AEFI and its programs: firstname.lastname@example.org
To view more photos of the 2019 Artist-Endowed Foundation Leadership Forum, click here.