Every student deserves an education that prepares him or her for lifelong learning and success. Unfortunately, far too many students are not receiving the high-quality educational experiences they need to help them reach these goals. State education chiefs recognize they are uniquely positioned to advance educational equity for all students across the country and are ready and willing to take the lead in achieving equity for all students.
In February 2017, The Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO) and the Aspen Institute Education & Society Program jointly released Leading for Equity: Opportunities for State Education Chiefs. Leading for Equity outlines 10 commitments state chiefs and their state education agencies can consider to advance educational equity for all students.
- Tony Evers, State Superintendent, Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction
- Pedro Rivera, Secretary of Education, Pennsylvania Department of Education (invited)
- Nate Gibbs-Bowling, 2016 Washington State Teacher of the Year
- Sen. Peggy Lehner (R-OH), Chair, Ohio State Senate Committee on Education
- Moderator: Alyson Klein, Education Week