The Aspen Institute Financial Security Programhosted an invitation-only conversation on The Future of America’s Retirement System on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. on October 23, 2019.
This private, non-partisan event will explore critical issues facing America’s retirement system and innovative solutions in the U.S. and across the globe, and will feature a fireside chat with Senator Chris Coons (D-DE). This event will be attended by Hill staff and a selection of academics, consumer advocates, and private sector leaders affiliated with the Aspen Institute’s Leadership Forum on Retirement Savings, an annual convening we host in the D.C. region.
The ultimate goal of our annual Retirement Forum is to accelerate convergence on critical dimensions of policy and marketplace innovation that will enable all workers in America to meaningfully participate in a retirement savings system that builds financial security. Given the scope of these issues and their profound impacts on the financial health of American households, there is an urgent need to bring together a diverse group of powerful voices to begin to break down existing barriers. For the fourth year in a row, the Aspen Leadership Forum on Retirement Savings will serve as the premier venue for this critical dialogue.
This event provided attendees a taste of the Forum experience, in effort to strengthen lines of communication and shared knowledge across policymakers and the field.
The agenda for this event is as follows:
Panel 1: Expanding Access to Retirement Savings Plans in a Changing Economy
- Anne Lester, Global Head of Retirement Solutions, JP Morgan Asset Management, (Moderator)
- Katie Selenski, Executive Director, CalSavers
- Angela Antonelli, Executive Director, Georgetown Center for Retirement Initiatives
Fireside Chat: “Saving for the Future Act” and Retirement Legislating for 2020 and Beyond
- Senator Chris Coons (D-DE)
- Ida Rademacher, Vice President, The Aspen Institute, and Executive Director, The Aspen Institute Financial Security Program
Panel 2: Retirement Plans That Do More than Just Retirement: How We Can Enhance Retirement Security By Helping Savers Pay Down Debt and Build Emergency Savings
- Elizabeth Kelly, Senior Vice President of Operations, United Income, (Moderator)
- Matthew Blakstad, Assistant Director, NEST Insight UK
- David John, Senior Strategic Policy Advisor, AARP