The Washington Ideas Roundtable Series featuring a conversation with:
- Molly Smith, Artistic Director, Arena Stage at the Mead Center for American Theater
- Joi Gresham, Director, Lorraine Hansberry Literary Trust
- Lizan Mitchell, Lena Younger, A Raisin in the Sun
- Valeka J. Holt, Ruth Younger (understudy), A Raisin in the Sun
- Moderator: Damian Woetzel, Director, Aspen Institute Arts Program
Watch the live stream:
New York Times theater critic Brooks Atkinson wrote in his review of the 1959 premiere of A Raisin in the Sun that the play is “likely to destroy the complacency of any one who sees it.” Nearly 60 years later, the story’s capacity to impact the social consciousness of the audience is just as strong. Join Arts Program Director Damian Woetzel as he continues the conversation on social justice and the arts in action along with Molly Smith, Artistic Director, Arena Stage; Joi Gresham, Director, Lorraine Hansberry Literary Trust; and cast members Lizan Mitchell (Lena Younger) and Valeka J. Holt (Ruth Younger, understudy) from Arena Stage’s current production of A Raisin in the Sun.
A Raisin in the Sun will run from March 31 through May 7 in the Fichandler Stage at Arena Stage at the Mead Center for American Theater. Click here to learn more and purchase tickets.