The 8th Annual Aspen Institute Symposium on the State of Race in America is open to the public and media.
Contact: Kiahna Cassell
The Aspen Institute
Washington, DC, May 8, 2018 — The Aspen Institute, in association with Comcast NBCUniversal, will convene a morning of discussions entitled, The Aspen Institute Symposium on the State of Race in America. The Symposium is intended to explore new attitudes, opportunities, and challenges for and about people of color in 21st century America. Public discussions will explore two main themes: racial hate speech and the first amendment, and whether political candidates rely too much, or not enough, on people of color in building their platform and campaigns.
More information and a live-stream of key sessions will be available at: as.pn/stateofrace
Editor’s Note: Press and public can register at https://aspeninstitute.wufoo.com/forms/2018-state-of-race-in-america-registration/
Who: Opening remarks delivered by David L. Cohen, Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer of Comcast NBCUniversal and Charles M. Firestone, Executive Director of the Aspen Institute Communications and Society Program.
Other speakers include:
- David Brooks, Op-Ed Columnist, The New York Times
- Juan Williams, Political Analyst, Fox News
- Marc Lamont Hill, Host of HuffPost Live and BET News, and Political Contributor, CNN
- Chuck Rocha, Strategist and President, Solidarity Strategies
- Suman Raghunathan, Executive Director, South Asian Americans Leading Together (SAALT)
- Brian Levin, Director, Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism, California State University, San Bernardino
- Jamia Wilson, Movement Builder, Storyteller and Feminist
- Alexis McGill, Executive Director and Co-Founder of Perception Institute
- Kamilah Prince, National Director of African American Engagement, Republican National Committee (RNC)
When: May 24, 2018 at 8:30AM – 12:15 PM ET
Where: The Newseum, 555 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20001
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, DC. Its mission is to foster leadership based on enduring values and to provide a nonpartisan venue for dealing with critical issues. The Institute is based in Washington, DC; Aspen, Colorado; and on the Wye River on Maryland’s Eastern Shore. It also has offices in New York City and an international network of partners. For more information, visit www.aspeninstitute.org.
Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA) is a global media and technology company with two primary businesses, Comcast Cable and NBCUniversal. Comcast Cable is one of the nation’s largest video, high-speed Internet and phone providers to residential customers under the XFINITY brand and also provides these services to businesses. NBCUniversal operates news, entertainment and sports cable networks, the NBC and Telemundo broadcast networks, television production operations, television station groups, Universal Pictures and Universal Parks and Resorts. Visit www.comcastcorporation.com for more information.