Leading policymakers, physicians, innovators, scientists, journalists, artists, and other experts in medicine, healthcare, and wellness to attend the opening segment of the Aspen Ideas Festival
Contact: Jon Purves
The Aspen Institute
202 736 2111 | [email protected]
Washington, DC and Aspen, CO, May 1, 2019 — Aspen Ideas: Health (previously known as Spotlight Health) today announced many of the 100+ speakers who will engage with urgent healthcare challenges and discuss cutting-edge innovations in medicine and science. The opening segment of the Aspen Ideas Festival gathers more than 170 presenters across 3 days in June, with around 80 sessions planned.
Aspen Ideas: Health will run from June 20-23, 2019, followed by the Aspen Ideas Festival from June 23-29, 2019. It is presented by the Aspen Institute.
Aspen Ideas: Health is comprised of 8 program tracks, which range from exploring ethics and values in health, improving mental health, patient empowerment, healthcare and the finance sector, developments in health technology, to “sex, drugs, and rock-and-roll.” A full list with descriptions is available here: https://www.aspenideas.org/program-tracks?festival_type=1
EDITOR’S NOTE: A limited number of press passes are available. To apply, please fill out the form here: http://www.aspenideas.org/festival/press. The Festival can accommodate both print and broadcast media; and Festival staff can assist in facilitating interviews on-site.
Speakers will continue to be added in the coming weeks. A complete list of confirmed speakers is available at https://www.aspenideas.org/speakers/health?view=list. Among the speakers are:
- Thasunda Brown Duckett, CEO, Consumer Banking, JP Morgan Chase
- William Cassidy, US Senator (R-LA)
- Esther Choo, Strategic Lead, Time’s Up Healthcare
- Daniel Davis, Professor of Immunology, University of Manchester; Author, The Beautiful Cure: Harnessing Your Body’s Natural Defenses
- Laura Deming, Founder, The Longevity Fund
- Jennifer Dixon, Chief Executive, The Health Foundation
- Rick Doblin, Founder and Executive Director, Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies
- Mark Dybul, Faculty Co-Director, Center for Global Health and Quality
- Victor Dzau, President, National Academy of Medicine
- Carolyn Edelstein, CEO, OpenBiome
- Anthony Fauci, Director, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
- Marc Freedman, Founder, President and CEO, Encore.org, Author, How to Live Forever: The Enduring Power of Connecting the Generations
- Kathy Giusti, Founder, Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation
- Patrick Harker, President and CEO, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia
- Katie Hood, CEO, One Love Foundation
- Richard Kogan, Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Artistic Director, Weill Cornell Music and Medicine Program
- Jeff Leach, Founder, Human Food Project; Co-Founder, American Gut Project
- Charlie and Hannah Lucas, Mobile App Developers, notOK
- Mariana Mazzucato, Professor in the Economics of Innovation and Public Value, Founder and Director, Institute for Innovation and Public Purpose, University College London; Author, The Value of Everything
- Nora McInerny, Writer; Podcast Host, “Terrible, Thanks for Asking”; Author, No Happy Endings
- Catherine Mohr, Vice President of Strategy, Intuitive Surgical; President, Intuitive Foundation
- Dariush Mozaffarian, Cardiologist; Dean, Friedman School of Nutrition Policy, Tufts University
- Matthew Myers, President, Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids
- Duanqing Pei, Professor and Director General, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Guangzhou Institutes of Biomedicine and Health
- Robert Redfield, Director, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Aviv Regev, Biology Professor, MIT; Organizing Committee Co-Chair, International Human Cell Atlas Project
- Yoko Sen, Sound Artist; Founder, Sen Sound
- Eric Topol, Cardiologist; Chief Academic Officer, Scripps Translational Science Institute; Author, Deep Medicine: How Artificial Intelligence Can Make Healthcare Human Again
- Donald Warne, Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion; Professor; Director, Indians Into Medicine (INMED), University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Leana Wen, President, Planned Parenthood Federation of America and Planned Parenthood Action Fund
- Ruth Westheimer, Sex Therapist; Author
Joining headline speakers and participating in the Festival will be scholars from all over the United States and around the world, selected for their work, accomplishments, and ability to transform ideas into action.
Aspen Ideas: Health will feature one-on-one interviews, panel conversations, film screenings, and more. More about this year’s program can be found at https://www.aspenideas.org/attend/health.
Over the course of Aspen Ideas: Health, a robust and diverse audience is expected in Aspen, CO, but many more will be able to join the conversation online. All video and audio clips of on-stage conversations will be on aspenideas.org, which has been redesigned for 2019, and on the Aspen Institute’s YouTube channel. Regular updates in the run-up and during the event will be on Facebook.com/aspenideas and on Twitter at @AspenIdeas and with #AspenIdeashealth. Additionally, discussions can be followed all year on the Aspen Ideas Festival articles page and on the Aspen Ideas To Go podcast.
Presenting underwriters for 2019 Aspen Ideas: Health are BlueCross BlueShield Association, Johnson & Johnson, Mount Sinai Health System, Prudential Financial, and Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Supporting underwriters are American Hospital Association, Amgen, Brigham Health, The Commonwealth Fund, Emory University, Pfizer, and Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA). AAMC, AARP, Annenberg Center for Health Sciences at Eisenhower, CareCentrix, General Mills, Wellcome, and The Wonderful Company are contributing underwriters.
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, DC. Its mission is to foster leadership based on enduring values and to provide a nonpartisan venue for dealing with critical issues. The Institute is based in Washington, DC; Aspen, Colorado; and on the Wye River on Maryland’s Eastern Shore. It also has offices in New York City and an international network of partners. For more information, visit www.aspeninstitute.org.