Paths to shared prosperity the focus of Washington, DC summit co-hosted by the Aspen Institute and the Mastercard Center for Inclusive Growth
Contacts: Jon Purves
The Aspen Institute
Washington, DC, October 17, 2019– Over 300 leaders from private, public, philanthropic and nonprofit sectors will gather in Washington, DC on Monday, October 21 for the inaugural Global Inclusive Growth Summit. Co-hosted by the Aspen Institute and the Mastercard Center for Inclusive Growth, the new convening will examine opportunities to advance equitable and sustainable economic growth. At a time of rapid technological change, there is a pressing need to address how the digital economy can be put to work for everyone, everywhere. The Summit will be broadcast by livestream.
During the day-long event, Summit attendees will present new partnerships, grant announcements, and ongoing commitments to establish inclusivity and equity as fundamental guiding principles for economic growth. The agenda will focus on mobilizing cross-sector innovations and resources to deepen shared prosperity. Participants will also explore the consequences of the digital revolution, discussing how we can realize the potential of technology to expand access and opportunity for all.
Speakers include Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright; Mastercard President and CEO Ajay Banga; Business Roundtable CEO Josh Bolten; Women in the World Founder Tina Brown; HOPE Enterprise Corporation CEO Bill Bynum; Case Foundation CEO Jean Case; Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, II (D-MO); B-Lab Founder Jay Coen Gilbert; Former US Secretary of Education Arne Duncan; Vice Chair of Bank of America Anne Finucane; Mayor of Oklahoma City, David Holt; Grameen America CEO and President Andrea Jung; Former New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu; Aspen Institute President and CEO Dan Porterfield; Rockefeller Foundation President Rajiv Shah; Mann Deshi Bank & Foundation Founder Chetna Sinha; Chair of The Prudential Foundation Lata N. Reddy; Mastercard Foundation CEO Reeta Roy; Rep. Mark Walker (R-NC).
Programming from the summit can be viewed via live stream at globalinclusivegrowthsummit.com.
More information about individual speakers is available here.
Join the conversation on social media with #GlobalIGS, with updates from the summit on:
- Twitter @AspenInstitute and @CNTR4growth
- Facebook: @AspenInstitute
- Instagram: @AspenInstitute
- LinkedIn: The Aspen Institute, Mastercard Center for Inclusive Growth
Plenary 1: The Imperative & Opportunity of Inclusive Growth
- 9:00am – 9:10am Welcome Remarks: Mike Froman, Vice Chairman, Mastercard; Dan Porterfield, President & CEO, The Aspen Institute
- 9:10am – 9:35am: Inclusive Growth & Purpose-Driven Leadership with Ajay Banga, President & CEO, Mastercard; Tina Brown, Founder & CEO, Women in the World/Tina Brown Live Media
- 9:35am – 9:45am: Inclusive Growth: What It Is and Why It Matters – Keynote Address by Raj Shah, President & CEO, Rockefeller Foundation
- 9:45am – 10:15am: Response Panel with Bhaskar Chakravorti, Dean of Global Business and Executive Director, Institute for Business in the Global Context, The Fletcher School, Tufts University; Donald Kaberuka, Chairman of the Board, Global Fund; Staci Warden, Executive Director, Global Markets Development, Milken Institute; moderated by Gillian Tett, Editor-at-Large, Columnist and Editorial Board Chair, Financial Times
- 10:15am – 10:35am: Creative Capital: Impact Investing to Power Inclusive Growth with Jean Case, CEO, Case Foundation; David Leonhardt, Op-Ed Columnist, The New York Times
- 10:35am – 10:40am: Announcement of Commitment: Mastercard Center for Inclusive Growth and the Aspen Institute with Dan Porterfield, President & CEO, The Aspen Institute; Shamina Singh, Founder & President, Mastercard Center for Inclusive Growth
Plenary 2: Financial & Human Capital Development as Building Blocks for Inclusive Growth
- 11:00am – 11:30am: Money Matters: Democratizing Finance to Unleash Productivity with Byron Auguste, CEO & Co-Founder, [email protected]; Bill Bynum, CEO, Hope Enterprise Corporation; Jonathan Morduch, Professor of Public Policy and Economics, New York University; Chetna Sinha, Founder, Mann Deshi Bank & Foundation; moderated by Ida Rademacher, Vice President, The Aspen Institute, Executive Director of Aspen Financial Security Program
- 11:30am – 11:55am: Innovations to Promote Financial Security & Productivity – Flash Talks with Mariana Costa Checa, Co-Founder & CEO, Laboratoria; Neville Crowley, CEO, Kiva; David Rolf, Founder & President Emeritus, SEIU 775; Maryana Iskander, CEO, Harambee Youth Employment Accelerator, moderated by Stephanie Mehta, Editor-in-Chief, Fast Company
- 11:55am – 12:25pm: Investing in our Future Workers with Arne Duncan, Former US Secretary of Education; Managing Partner, Emerson Collective; Lata Reddy, Senior Vice President of Diversity, Inclusion and Impact, Prudential Financial; Chair of The Prudential Foundation; Reeta Roy, President & CEO, Mastercard Foundation; moderated by Dan Porterfield, President & CEO, The Aspen Institute
- 1:20pm – 2:10pm: Deep-Dive Sessions will not be available to watch on livestream. See online agenda for more information
- 2:20pm – 2:50pm: Inclusive Growth from the Boardroom with Josh Bolten, CEO, Business Roundtable; Anne Finucane, Vice Chairman, Bank of America; Mike Froman, Vice Chairman, Mastercard; Andrea Jung, President & CEO, Grameen America; moderated by Alan Murray, CEO, Fortune
- 2:50pm – 3:00pm: Announcement of Commitment: Imperative 21 with Jay Coen Gilbert, Co-Founder, B Lab
Plenary 3: Locally-Led Inclusive Growth: Solutions from the Front Lines
- 3:00pm – 3:10pm: Geography Should Not Be Destiny with Mitch Landrieu, Former Mayor, City of New Orleans
- 3:10pm – 3:35pm: Rewiring Opportunities for Investment with Asali DeVan Ecclesiastes, Director, Strategic Neighborhood Development, New Orleans Business Alliance; David Holt, Mayor, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; John Lettieri, President & CEO, Economic Innovation Group; moderated by Rick Jacobs, President & CEO, Accelerator for America
- 3:35pm – 3:40pm: Announcement of Commitment: JP Morgan Chase with Colleen Briggs, Executive Director of Community Innovation, JP Morgan Chase
- 3:40pm – 4:00pm: Multi-Sector Partnerships: Finance, Farmers, and Factories with Martha Brooks, Board Co-Chair, CARE USA; Mark Green, Administrator, U.S. Agency for International Development; moderated by Shamina Singh, Founder & President, Mastercard Center for Inclusive Growth
- 4:00pm – 4:20pm: Inclusive Modernization: News from Central Europe with Silvana Jirotková, Deputy Minister of Industry and Trade, Czech Republic; Robert Vass, President, GLOBSEC; Zbigniew Wiśniewski, Deputy Chairman, Cashless Poland; moderated by Joana Sanchez Klosinka, Director of Public Policy Europe, Mastercard
Closing Plenary: Inclusive Growth and the Social Contract
- 4:20pm – 4:50pm: Closing Call to Action: Inclusive Growth and the Social Contract with Madeleine Albright, Former Secretary of State; Chair, Albright Stonebridge Group; moderated by Joshua Johnson, Founding Host, 1A, WAMU and NPR
- 4:50pm – 5:00pm: Closing Remarks with Ida Rademacher, Vice President, The Aspen Institute, Executive Director of Aspen Financial Security Program and Shamina Singh, Founder & President, Mastercard Center for Inclusive Growth
Editor’s Note: Press interested in attending in-person are invited to register here. Attending press will have the opportunity to interview organizers and speakers (depending on availability). Media outlets are authorized to distribute content from the livestream crediting the Global Inclusive Growth Summit, organized by the Aspen Institute and the Mastercard Center for Inclusive Growth. The direct live stream link for embedded content is available here.
About the Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute is a nonprofit organization with global reach whose vision is the creation of a free, just, and equitable society. For 70 years, the Institute has driven change by inspiring dialogue, leadership, and action to address society’s greatest challenges. With headquarters in Washington, DC, the Institute has offices in Aspen, Colorado and New York City, as well as an international network of partners. Learn more at aspeninstitute.org.
About the Center for Inclusive Growth
The Mastercard Center for Inclusive Growth focuses on promoting equitable and sustainable economic growth and financial inclusion around the world. As the thought leadership and philanthropic hub of Mastercard, the Center leverages the company’s data, expertise and technology, along with administering the Mastercard Impact Fund, to empower a community of thinkers, leaders and innovators on the front lines of inclusive growth. For more information and to receive its latest insights, follow the Center on Twitter @CNTR4growth, or subscribe to the Center’s newsletter.