UpSkill America is an employer-led movement to expand opportunity for America’s workers and allow our economy and communities to thrive. As part of our mission to advance the upskilling movement, we are pleased to share the following news featuring one of our partners.
Amazon pledged to upskill 100,000 employees across the United States, dedicating over $700 million to provide access to training programs that will help them move into more highly skilled roles. Amazon’s Upskilling 2025 pledge invests in a range of new programs, including:
- Amazon Technical Academy, which equips non-technical Amazon employees with the essential skills to transition into software engineering careers;
- Associate2Tech, which trains fulfillment center associates to move into technical roles regardless of their previous IT experience;
- Machine Learning University, offering employees with technical backgrounds the opportunity to access machine learning skills via an on-site training program;
- Amazon Career Choice, a prepaid tuition program designed to train fulfillment center associates in high-demand occupations of their choice;
- Amazon Apprenticeship, a Department of Labor certified program that offers paid intensive classroom training and on-the-job apprenticeships with Amazon; and
- AWS Training and Certification, which provide employees with courses to build practical AWS Cloud knowledge that is essential to operating in a technical field.
Through its Upskilling 2025 pledge, Amazon is focused on creating pathways to careers in areas that will continue growing in years to come, including healthcare, machine learning, manufacturing, robotics, computer science, cloud computing, and more. Click here to learn more.
With this announcement, Amazon demonstrates its continued commitment to the upskilling movement. The company is frequently recognized for its upskilling efforts and is a featured player in our UpSkilling Playbook for Employers. Click here to learn more about employee training programs in our UpSkilling Playbook for Employers.
More Upskilling News from Amazon
- Amazon welcomes first graduates of program to turn veterans into technologists (August 2018)
- Amazon Turns Upskilling on Its Head (May 2018)
- 5 Reasons to Double-Down on Employee Development in 2017 (December 2016)
- Walmart, Amazon and a nonprofit train the workforce of tomorrow (September 2016)
- Five Questions for Amazon’s Global Leader for Career Advancement, Juan Garcia (August 2016)
Join the upskilling movement
UpSkill America is an employer-led movement that promotes training and advancement practices to help workers progress in their careers and move into better-paying jobs. UpSkill America is an initiative of the Economic Opportunities Program.
Learn how the Economic Opportunities Program is helping low- and moderate-income Americans connect to and thrive in a changing economy. Follow us on social media and join our mailing list to stay up-to-date on publications, blog posts, and other announcements.