The “Aspen Ideas to Go” podcast is a weekly show featuring fascinating speakers who have presented at the Aspen Ideas Festival and other public programs offered by the Aspen Institute — including Aspen Words, the Alma and Joseph Gildenhorn Book Series, and various events around the country. For a curated listening experience subscribe to the podcast on iTunes or listen to each episode on the Aspen Ideas website.
How can our medical and social systems support or hinder dying? Do we have the right to bend the arc of our own death, or that of a loved one? How can we approach the final passage with grace? A panel of authors, health experts, and end-of-life specialists examines these questions and more.
Featured speakers include:
- Dan Diaz: Diaz is the husband of Brittany Maynard, who ended her life in November 2014 after being diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. He is carrying on with Brittany’s mission through Compassion & Choices, a nonprofit organization that advocates for expanding end-of-life options for terminally ill adults.
- BJ Miller: Miller is executive director of the Zen Hospice Project and an assistant clinical professor of medicine at University of California San Francisco, where he attends to the Palliative Care Service at UCSF Medical Center and the Symptom Management Service of the Helen Diller Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- Samuel Kargbo: Kargbo is director of policy and planning at the Ministry of Health and Sanitation in Sierra Leone and is an Aspen Institute New Voices Fellow. He is focused on Ebola research for vaccines and post-Ebola recovery.
- Courtney E. Martin: Martin is an author, entrepreneur, and weekly columnist for On Being. She is co-founder of the Solutions Journalism Network and of FRESH Speakers Bureau, a strategist for the TED Prize, and editor emeritus at Feministing.com.
Tricia Johnson is editorial director of public programs at the Aspen Institute.
- Aspen Ideas to Go Podcast: The Unorthodox Church of Pope Francis
- Aspen Ideas to Go Podcast: Katie Couric, Netflix, and the New Age of Television
- Aspen Ideas to Go Podcast: What is College For?
- Aspen Ideas to Go Podcast: Long Life in the 21st Century
- Aspen Ideas to Go Podcast: Is Violence a Function of Our Culture?
- Aspen Ideas to Go Podcast: The National Security View from the White House
- Aspen Ideas to Go Podcast: Faith and the Public Square
- Aspen Ideas to Go Podcast: Circuit Training for Your Brain: Well-Being is a Skill
- Aspen Ideas to Go Podcast: Radical: My Journey Out of Islamist Extremism
- Aspen Ideas to Go Podcast: The Supreme Court’s Marriage Equality Ruling: The Most Consequential Ruling of Our Lifetimes?
- Aspen Ideas to Go Podcast: A Conversation Across Cultures
- Aspen Ideas to Go Podcast: Robert Putnam on Investing in “Our Kids”
- Aspen Ideas to Go Podcast: American Musical Traditions