The Aspen Institute and The Achievement Network are addressing the pressing need to empower teachers to help students reach new levels of mastery with a collection of new resources. These materials meet educators where they are and spell out some straightforward steps school-based educators can take to turn Common Core vision into reality.
This event — which includes a panel discussion — allows participants to learn about what’s happening in the field, what schools need to do (and stop doing) to succeed with Common Core, and what policy can do to measure and support progress.
The released materials are each designed to inform implementation of the Common Core State Standards at the school level:
- Implementation of the Common Core State Standards: A Transition Guide for School-level Leaders (The Aspen Institute, in partnership with Education First, Insight Education Group, Student Achievement Partners and Targeted Leadership Consulting)
- Focusing on the How: Guidance for School and District Leaders on Supporting Teachers through the Transition to the Common Core (The Achievement Network)
- Implementing Common Core State Standards: The Role of Instructional Leadership Teams and Looking at Student Work (Professional Development Modules/The Aspen Institute)
- Tools for Teachers: Engaging in Academic Writing (Professional Development Modules/The Aspen Institute)
All Common Core resources from the Education & Society Program can be found at www.AspenDRL.org/CCSS.
Common Core resources from The Achievement Network are available at www.achievementnetwork.org/common-core-transition/.
An expert panel of distinguished leaders of CCSS implementation — to be moderated by Aspen Education & Society Program Vice President and Executive Director Ross Wiener — will accompany the release of these resources. Panelists include:
– Amanda Alexander, Deputy Chief of Schools, District of Columbia Public Schools
– James Ammirati, Principal, Liberty Middle School, Hillsborough County Public Schools
– Amalia Cudeiro, Founding Partner, Targeted Leadership Consulting
– Tracy Epp, Chief Academic Officer, Achievement First Public Charter Schools
– John Maycock, Co-Founder & President, The Achievement Network