Happy belated Mother’s Day! This past week on Aspen Institute Radio, we focused on modern parenting.
Aspen Institute Radio, our two-hour radio show, airs every Saturday and Sunday on SiriusXM Insight (channel 121). Each episode will dive into the topics that inform the world around you. Here in our weekly Listen Longer posts, we’ll recap each episode and show you where you can read, watch, and listen to more. Don’t have SiriusXM? Try it free for a month here.
What is the goal of parenting?
Twenty-first century parents are bombarded with parenting advice. From demanding over-achievement from our children to the extreme hands-off approach to everything in between, isn’t it time we have a conversation about what the goal of parenting should be? Check out our discussion on the topic with leading experts and parents.
“It sounds harsh but it’s empowering, this idea that hard work can fix just about anything.” –Amy Chua, professor at Yale University Law School and author of best seller “Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother” gave us her take on parenting.
The Perils of Over-Parenting
“Overparenting is gross!” –Katie Couric moderated a discussion about how over-parenting may actually be hindering the next generation of adults. Want to hear more from Couric, Institute trustee and global news anchor for Yahoo News? Check out more conversations with her from the stages of the Aspen Ideas Festival.
- Love and Life with New York Times columnist David Brooks
- Talking Pot with Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper
Check out our YouTube playlist for all of this episode’s conversations.
- Listen Longer 4/25: Food Security
- Listen Longer 4/18: Income Inequality
- Listen Longer 4/11: Healing the Racial Divide
- Listen Longer 4/4: Sports
- Listen Longer 3/28: Foreign Policy
- Listen Longer 3/21: National Service
- Listen Longer 3/14: Science!
- Listen Longer 3/7: Women’s History Month
- Listen Longer 2/28: Reimagining Education
- Listen Longer 2/21: Oscars Edition
- Listen Longer 2/14: Presidents Day
- Listen Longer 2/7: Black History Month
- Listen Longer 1/31: Super Bowl Edition
- Listen Longer 1/24: State of the Union
- Listen Longer 1/17: Martin Luther King Jr. Day