Note: Watch the series of discussions at the Arts Summit at aspeninstitute.org/live on May 16th beginning at 9:30am EDT.
The first annual Kennedy Center/Aspen Institute Arts Summit will identify the valuable roles that the arts can play in addressing major issues that concern us as a nation and, at the same time, aim to further the relevance and strength of the arts themselves.
The day’s speeches, conversations, performances, and debates will explore the positive impacts that the arts can make in the streams of American life, from race to education, free speech to technology. Watch the conversations and exhibitions live at aspeninstitute.org/live from 9:30am EDT.
- David Brooks, author and New York Times columnist
- Johnny Gandelsman, violinist
- Howard Gardner, professor, Harvard University Graduate School of Education
- Walter Isaacson, president and CEO, Aspen Institute
- Maz Jobrani, author, actor, and comedian
- Alan Kay, computer scientist
- Spike Lee, film producer, screenwriter, and director
- Kate Levin, principal, Bloomberg Associates
- Sarah Lewis, author and professor, Yale University
- Eric Liu, director, Aspen Institute Citizenship and American Identity Program
- David Rubenstein, co-founder and co-CEO, the Carlyle Group
- Deborah Rutter, president, John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
- Michael Sandel, professor, Harvard University
- Split This Rock DC, poets
- Sonia Sotomayor, associate justice, US Supreme Court
- Darren Walker, president, Ford Foundation
- Damian Woetzel, director, Aspen Institute Arts Program
- Alfre Woodard, actress, Aspen Institute Harman-Eisner Artist in Residence
- Beau Willimon, creator and executive producer, “House of Cards”
- Camille Zamora, co-founder, Sing for Hope
- Ai Weiwei (via video), contemporary artist and activist