This past week on Aspen Institute Radio we got ready for the 2015 Aspen Ideas Festival in Aspen, Colorado, June 25 through July 4. The episode features education highlights from last year’s Festival — from talks on how the brain learns through storytelling to re-imagining the ways teachers present lessons to their students and prepping kids for college.
Aspen Institute Radio, our two-hour radio show, airs every Saturday and Sunday on SiriusXM Insight (channel 121). Each episode dives into the topics that inform the world around us. Here in our weekly Listen Longer posts, we’ll recap each episode and show where you can read, watch, and listen to more. Don’t have SiriusXM? Try it free for a month here.
Your Brain on Stories
Storytelling can also shape our ideas, behavior, and even policy. Here’s how.
The Digital Curriculum
Joel Klein is former chancellor of the New York City Department of Education and current CEO of Amplify. Amplify is setting the standard for next-generation digital learning. Find out why it’s used by more than 200,000 educators and three million students in all 50 states.
Prepping Our Kids for College
How will the SAT measure our youth for higher education in the next decade? David Coleman, College Board president and CEO, gave us some insight about getting our students ready.
How do children succeed? Writer Paul Tough said it takes character: perseverance, curiosity, optimism, and self-control.
Higher Education Report Card
“The average child coming from a disadvantaged community starts kindergarten at 5 years old, a year to 16 months behind. And we don’t do a great job of playing catch-up. So we’ve had some progress there, but a long, long way to go.” – US Secretary of Education Arne Duncan gave an overview of progress — and where it’s still needed — in the US education system.
Our Aspen Prize for Community College Excellence recognizes the country’s top community colleges. Duncan spoke about the importance of adult education at the Prize ceremony in 2011. And watch Dr. Jill Biden’s remarks on the potential of community colleges from this spring.
You can also watch our YouTube playlist for all of this episode’s conversations.
- Listen Longer: Healthy Ideas
- Listen Longer 5/23: Memorial Day
- Listen Longer 5/16: State of Race in America
- Listen Longer 5/9: Parenting
- Listen Longer 4/25: Food Security
- Listen Longer 4/18: Income Inequality
- Listen Longer 4/11: Healing the Racial Divide
- Listen Longer 4/4: Sports
- Listen Longer 3/28: Foreign Policy
- Listen Longer 3/21: National Service
- Listen Longer 3/14: Science!
- Listen Longer 3/7: Women’s History Month
- Listen Longer 2/28: Reimagining Education
- Listen Longer 2/21: Oscars Edition
- Listen Longer 2/14: Presidents Day
- Listen Longer 2/7: Black History Month
- Listen Longer 1/31: Super Bowl Edition
- Listen Longer 1/24: State of the Union
- Listen Longer 1/17: Martin Luther King Jr. Day