This past week Aspen Institute Radio focused on sports, including talks on the lasting physical effects of football, injury prevention, and the future of college sports.
Aspen Institute Radio, our two-hour radio show, airs every Saturday and Sunday on SiriusXM Insight (channel 121). Each episode dives into the topics that inform the world around us. Here in our weekly Listen Longer posts, we’ll recap each episode and show where you can read, watch, and listen to more. Don’t have SiriusXM? Try it free for a month here.
Head Games: Can Football Be Saved from Itself?
Football is America’s most popular game, but now even NFL veterans are steering their children into alternate sports over head injury concerns. Our panel considers the latest research on concussions, and cutting-edge ideas designed to manage the violence.
Prevention Matters: The Intersection of Sports and Safety
Nine out of ten parents have safety concerns for their children when they play sports — and with good reason. Each year, approximately three million youth are seen in hospital emergency rooms for sports-related injuries. Sports industry leaders and medical specialists discuss potential rule changes and modifications that can be made to make sports safe.
College Sports at a Crossroads: Entertainment or Education?
The NCAA is beset with scandals, anti-trust lawsuits, calls for reform, and manic conference hopping — all signs that college sports has an identity crisis that begs to be resolved. Our panel considers the future of a beloved, embattled American institution.
The Power of Play
Unstructured play opportunities deliver hours of physical activity, yet cultural shifts have made playing less prominent. Sports experts and professional athletes discuss the importance of — and ways to increase — “free play.”
- Listen Longer 9/5: The Future of the American Worker
- Listen Longer 8/29: Education Reform in the Modern World
- Listen Longer 8/22: McConnell, Paulson, and the Carters Share Political Insights
- Listen Longer 8/15: Great Authors
- Listen Longer 8/8: Aspen Institute Summer 2015 Events
- Listen Longer 8/1: Issues and Leaders in Technology
- Listen Longer 7/25: Global Security
- Listen Longer 7/18: Aspen Security Forum
- Listen Longer 7/11: The 2015 Aspen Ideas Festival
- Listen Longer 6/20: The American Economy
- Listen Longer 6/6: Healthy Ideas
- Listen Longer 5/23: Memorial Day
- Listen Longer 5/16: State of Race in America
- Listen Longer 5/9: Parenting
- Listen Longer 4/25: Food Security
- Listen Longer 4/18: Income Inequality
- Listen Longer 4/11: Healing the Racial Divide
- Listen Longer 4/4: Sports
- Listen Longer 3/28: Foreign Policy
- Listen Longer 3/21: National Service
- Listen Longer 3/14: Science!
- Listen Longer 3/7: Women’s History Month
- Listen Longer 2/28: Reimagining Education
- Listen Longer 2/21: Oscars Edition
- Listen Longer 2/14: Presidents Day
- Listen Longer 2/7: Black History Month
- Listen Longer 1/31: Super Bowl Edition
- Listen Longer 1/24: State of the Union
- Listen Longer 1/17: Martin Luther King Jr. Day