On Thursday, January 11th, the Expanding Prosperity Impact Collaborative (EPIC), LendUp, and Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf hosted the closing event of our Finnace Forward series on income volatility at the Kapor Center For Social Impact .
Over the last 18 months, EPIC has synthesized data, polled consumers, surveyed experts, published reports, and convened leaders, all to build a more accurate understanding of how income volatility affects low- and moderate-income families and how best to combat the most destabilizing dimensions of the problem. In looking at solutions to this problem, we launched Finance Forward, a multi-city event series geared toward bringing together elected officials, businesses, community advocates, and nonprofit leaders to identify and advance innovative, actionable solutions to income volatility. Since its launch in June of this year, Finance Forward has conducted consumer focus groups and hosted events in Columbia, SC, Lansing, MI, and St. Louis, MO.
The closing event of our Finance Forward series on income volatility featured conversations on the roles we can all play in solving for income volatility in our communities. We hope attendees left feeling inspired to pursue solutions to address this growing problem.
The event ran from 2:00 – 5:30 PM and featured the following speakers:
- Libby Schaaf, Mayor, City of Oakland, CA, @LibbySchaaf
- Steve Benjamin, Mayor, City of Columbia, SC, @SteveBenjaminSC
- Jotaka Eaddy, Vice President of Policy; Strategic Engagement, and Impact, LendUp,@JotakaEaddy
- Tishaura O. Jones, Treasurer, City of St. Louis, MO, @Tishaura
- Clint Key, Research Officer, Pew Charitable Trusts, @clintkey
- Noah Lang, CEO, Stride Health,@noahlang
- Patricia Murillo, Executive Director, Alternatives in Action, @AIAYouthPower
- Jerry Nemorin, Founder and CEO, LendStreet, @JNemorin
- Sasha Orloff, CEO, LendUp, @sashaorloff
- Leigh Phillips, CEO, EARN, @twoleighp
- Kirsten Saenz Tobey, Co-Founder and Chief Impact Officer, Revolution Foods, @kirstentobey
- Rachel Schneider, Co-Author, The Financial Diaries: How American Families Cope in a World of Uncertainty, @RachelSchneider
- Joanna Smith-Ramani
, Director, Aspen EPIC, @Aspen_FSP
- Kat Taylor, Co-CEO, Beneficial State Bank, @BeneficialState
- Kim Winston, Director, State Government Affairs, Starbucks Coffee Company, @Starbucks