United States and global leaders to address urgent national security and foreign policy challenges at the 14th Aspen Security Forum, held with media partners NBCUniversal News Group and the Financial Times.
Contact: Jon Purves
Associate Director, Media Relations
The Aspen Institute
Washington, DC, June 14, 2023 –– The Aspen Strategy Group today announced the initial group of speakers participating in the 2023 Aspen Security Forum, with more to follow in the weeks to come. The organization’s flagship annual gathering takes place in Aspen, Colorado from July 18-21. The 14th Forum will feature current and former U.S. government and military officials, foreign ministers, business leaders, key academics, and prominent journalists. Panel discussions and one-on-one interviews will address the most critical national security and foreign policy issues facing the U.S. and the global community.
“At this year’s Aspen Security Forum, we will explore the technological, security, economic, and geopolitical risks that lie just ‘over the horizon,’” said Anja Manuel, Executive Director of the Aspen Strategy Group and former State Department official. “Great power competition is back, and all of us who care about national security must be creative and collaborative. We look forward to engaging conversations in Aspen that challenge conventional thinking and inspire new cooperation and innovation.”
Speakers announced today include:
- John Aquilino, Commander, U.S. Indo-Pacific Command
- Rana Ayyub, Global Opinions Contributing Writer, The Washington Post
- Zoë Baird, Senior Counselor to the Secretary for Technology and Economic Growth, U.S. Department of Commerce
- Ylli Bajraktari, President and CEO, Special Competitive Studies Project
- Emmanuel Bonne, Diplomatic Adviser to President Macron
- Esther Brimmer, James H. Binger Senior Fellow in Global Governance, Council on Foreign Relations
- Maria Eugenia Brizuela de Ávila, former Minister of Foreign Affairs, El Salvador
- Christian Brose, Chief Strategy Officer, Anduril Industries
- Tory Bruno, CEO, United Launch Alliance
- James Dickinson, Commander, U.S. Space Command
- Mark T. Esper, Partner and Board Member, Red Cell Venture Capital, and 27th Secretary of Defense, U.S. Department of Defense
- Francis Fukuyama, Olivier Nomellini Senior Fellow, Freeman Spogli Institute for International Studies, Stanford University
- Mircea Geoană, Deputy Secretary General, North Atlantic Treaty Organization
- Naima Green-Riley, Assistant Professor of Politics and International Affairs, Princeton University
- Jane Harman, Chair, Commission on the National Defense Strategy, and former Representative (CA-36), U.S. House of Representatives
- Heidi Heitkamp, Institute Director, The University Chicago Institute of Politics and former Senator from North Dakota
- Bonnie Jenkins, Under Secretary for Arms Control and International Security, U.S. Department of State
- Robert Joyce, Director of Cybersecurity, National Security Agency
- Monica Juma, National Security Advisor to the President of Kenya
- Aaron Karczmer, EVP, Chief Enterprise Services Officer, PayPal
- Tzipi Livni, former Vice Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs and Justice, Israel
- Anja Manuel, Executive Director, Aspen Strategy Group and Co-Founder and Partner, Rice, Hadley, Gates & Manuel LLC
- Oleksandra Matviichuk, Head, Centre for Civil Liberties, Ukraine and Nobel Peace Laureate
- Shivshankar Menon, Visiting Professor of International Relations, Ashoka University
- Brian Nelson, Under Secretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence, U.S. Department of the Treasury
- Joseph Nye, Co-Chair, Aspen Strategy Group and Dean Emeritus, Harvard Kennedy School, Harvard University
- Meghan O’Sullivan, Jeane Kirkpatrick Professor of the Practice of International Affairs, Harvard University
- Farah Pandith, Adjunct Senior Fellow, Council on Foreign Relations
- David Petraeus, Partner, KKR, and former Director, Central Intelligence Agency
- Mike Pompeo, Distinguished Fellow, Hudson Institute, and 70th Secretary of State, U.S. Department of State
- Nirupama Menon Rao, former Foreign Secretary of India
- Condoleezza Rice, Co-Chair, Aspen Strategy Group, and 66th Secretary of State, U.S. Department of State
- Laura Richardson, Commander, U.S. Southern Command
- Heidi Shyu, Under Secretary of Defense for Research and Engineering, U.S. Department of Defense
- Kristen Silverberg, President & COO, Business Roundtable, and former U.S. Ambassador to the European Union
- Brad Smith, Vice Chair and President, Microsoft
- Jürgen Stock, Secretary General, INTERPOL
- Lawrence H. Summers, Charles W. Eliot University Professor, Harvard University, and 71st Secretary of the Treasury, U.S. Department of the Treasury
- Frances Townsend, EVP, Corporate Affairs, Corporate Secretary, and Chief Compliance Officer, Activision Blizzard, and 3rd U.S. Homeland Security Advisor
- Ezinne Uzo-Okoro, Assistant Director for Space Policy, White House Office of Science and Technology Policy
- Kent Walker, President, Global Affairs, Google
- Christine Wormuth, 25th Secretary of the Army, U.S. Army
The speaker and moderator list, which is subject to change, is available to view here. Additional speakers will be announced in the coming weeks, including senior officials from the White House, U.S. Cabinet Members, and others in the U.S. Government and Congress, cabinet officials from Singapore, Poland, and other countries.
Anchors and correspondents from NBCUniversal News Group and the Financial Times, the media partners of the 2023 Aspen Security Forum, will participate throughout the program, as well as moderators from the Wall Street Journal, CNN, FOX News, The New York Times, POLITICO, NPR, The Washington Post, Semafor, the BBC, and others.
Editor’s Note: Members of the press can apply for a limited number of media credentials available for the Aspen Security Forum here. Sessions from the Aspen Security Forum will also be livestreamed.
A biannual event, the Aspen Security Forum will return to Washington, DC, this winter on Thursday, December 7, 2023.
The Forum is generously supported by Google, Mastercard, McKinsey & Company, Microsoft, MITRE, PayPal, The Rockefeller Foundation, United Launch Alliance, USA Rare Earth, U.S. Innovative Technology, and the Walton Family Foundation, with additional support from American Airlines, Beacon Global Strategies, and Intel.
The Aspen Strategy Group’s mission is to convene decision makers in resolutely non-partisan public and private forums to address key foreign policy challenges facing the United States. The ASG organizes its annual Summer Workshop, hosts Track II dialogues, and presents the annual Aspen Security Forum where domestic and foreign government officials, business executives, leading academics, and noted journalists convene for three and a half days to discuss solutions to the most pressing national security and foreign policy challenges of our time. As a part of the Aspen Strategy Group’s commitment to cultivating the next generation of leaders in national security and foreign policy, the third pillar of its work is the Rising Leaders Program for young professionals.