UpSkill America is an employer-led movement to expand opportunity for America’s workers and allow our economy and communities to thrive. As part of our mission to advance the upskilling movement, we are pleased to share the following news featuring one of our partners.
McDonald’s today announced that Archways to Opportunity, its workforce education program, has enrolled more than 5,000 people since its creation one year ago. The program provides assistance in earning a high school diploma, receiving tuition assistance for college classes and helping learning English.
Since April 2015, McDonald’s has provided millions of dollars in tuition assistance for eligible employees to achieve their high school diplomas and college degrees. In addition, the company has seen the following participation:
- 819 restaurant employees awarded tuition assistance for high school
- 3,346 restaurant employees awarded tuition assistance for college
- 872 graduated from English Under the Arches
- 308 completed advising sessions
Archways to Opportunity provides a range of opportunities with programs all designed to meet employees at their point of need. All of the following programs are available to both company employees and the men and women employed by participating independent Owner/Operators in the United States.
- High School Completion – The nationally-accredited Career Online High School program that is offered to eligible restaurant managers and crew to obtain a high school diploma at no cost.
- College Access and Completion
- Tuition Assistance – Provides upfront tuition assistance for college courses at higher education institutions accredited by the U.S. Department of Education.
- ACE – McDonald’s management training curriculum carries American Council on Education (ACE) college credit recommendations that can be transferred to many two- and four-year colleges.
- College Credit Connection Program – McDonald’s has partnered with six colleges that map out credit recommendations into specific courses and offer discounted tuition.
- Advising Services – Advising programs with experts help employees identify the best educational and career route to achieve their goals. The “Virtual Advisor” app helps calculates American Council on Education (ACE) college credit recommendations and offers college placement advice.
- English Under the Arches – Teaches managers and crew the English they need to communicate effectively with colleagues, customers, and in their daily life.
Archways to Opportunity was designed with the understanding that there is no one-size-fits-all approach to success when it comes to workforce education. Click here to learn more.
McDonald’s is frequently recognized for its upskilling efforts and is a featured player in our UpSkilling Playbook for Employers. Learn more about McDonald’s upskilling efforts in our sections on Apprenticeship, College Degrees, High School Completion/Equivalency, and Pre-employment Training.
More upskilling news from McDonald’s
- McDonald’s Sets Global Goal to Reduce Barriers to Employment for Two Million Youth, August 2018
- Archways to Opportunity Participants Achieve Major Milestone, July 2018
- McDonald’s Boosts Tuition Assistance for Employees, March 2018
- Restaurant Employee Participation in McDonald’s Archways to Opportunity Education Program Doubles in Just One Year, May 2017
- How McDonald’s is upskilling its frontline workers, May 2016
Join the upskilling movement