UpSkill America is an employer-led movement to expand opportunity for America’s workers and allow our economy and communities to thrive. As part of our mission to advance the upskilling movement, we are pleased to share the following news featuring one of our partners.
In March 2015, Juan Garcia became the first graduate of Cengage Learning’s Career Online High School, an AdvancED/SACS accredited program offered to eligible McDonald’s® employees as part of the company’s Archways to Opportunity initiative. Through the program, McDonald’s® employees can earn both an accredited high school diploma and career certificate in one of eight high-growth, entry-level career fields. Below, Juan shares his story.
My name is Juan Garcia. I’m a general manager at a McDonald’s® in Chatsworth, California. I am proud to say that in March 2015, at 40 years of age, I finally became a high school graduate! I graduated from Career Online High School (COHS)—a program that has changed my life forever. Upon graduating from COHS, I immediately enrolled in college and I expect to earn my Associate of Arts (AA) degree at College for America this month, December 2015. Thanks to COHS, I am now prepared for future opportunities with the experience, knowledge, and education I need.
McDonald’s is frequently recognized for its upskilling efforts and is a featured player in our UpSkilling Playbook for Employers. Learn more about McDonald’s upskilling efforts in our sections on Apprenticeship, College Degrees, High School Completion/Equivalency, and Pre-employment Training.
More upskilling news from McDonald’s
- McDonald’s Sets Global Goal to Reduce Barriers to Employment for Two Million Youth, August 2018
- Archways to Opportunity Participants Achieve Major Milestone, July 2018
- McDonald’s Boosts Tuition Assistance for Employees, March 2018
- Restaurant Employee Participation in McDonald’s Archways to Opportunity Education Program Doubles in Just One Year, May 2017
- How McDonald’s is upskilling its frontline workers, May 2016
- After One Year, McDonald’s Archways to Opportunity Enrolls More Than 5,000 People Seeking Education, April 2016
Join the upskilling movement