Henry Crown Leadership Award
The Henry Crown Leadership Award was created to honor an outstanding leader whose achievements reflect the high standards of honor, integrity, industry, and philanthropy that characterized the life and career of Henry Crown. The award is presented annually by the Trustee of the Henry and Gladys Crown Charitable Trust Fund in cooperation with the Henry Crown Fellowship Program of the Aspen Institute.
In 2016, the Henry Crown Leadership Award was presented to Robert K. Steel, a partner and CEO of Perella Weinberg Partners and former Deputy Mayor for Economic Development for the City of New York. While serving in the administration of Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, Bob was responsible for the administrations economic development strategy, job-creation efforts, and major redevelopment projects, as well as its efforts to expand job training, promote new industries, and diversify the economy. Prior to his 2010 appointment as Deputy Mayor, he was the President and CEO of Wachovia. And, from 2006 to 2008, he served as Under Secretary of the Treasury for Domestic Finance. Before entering government service, he spent nearly 30 years at Goldman Sachs, ultimately rising to become Co-Head of the US Equities Division and Vice Chairman of the firm. Bob is a graduate of Duke University and the University of Chicagos Booth School of Business, and has distinguished himself as Chairman of Dukes Board of Trustees, Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Aspen Institute, a Senior Fellow at the Harvard Kennedy School of Government, a member of the FDIC Advisory Committee on Economic Inclusion, Chairman of the After-School Corporation, and Co-Founder of SeaChange Capital Partners. Mr. Steel serves on the Board of Trustees for the Hospital for Special Surgery, the Morgan Library and Museum and the Rockefeller University, and is a member of the Board of Directors of Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts.
Past recipients of the award include:
- 2015 General (ret.) Stanley McChrystal, former Commander of the International Security Assistance Force and Commander of United States Forces Afghanistan
- 2014 Reed Hastings, Founder and CEO, Netflix
- 2013 Wynton Marsalis, Managing and Artistic Director, Jazz at Lincoln Center
- 2012 Gabrielle Giffords, former U.S. Representative
- 2011 Madeleine K. Albright, Chair, The Albright Stonebridge Group and former United States Secretary of State
- 2010 Vartan Gregorian, President, Carnegie Corporation of New York
- 2009 Jeffrey Bezos, President, CEO, and Chairman of the Board of Amazon.com
- 2008 William Mayer, Partner, Park Avenue Equity Partners and former Chairman of the Aspen Institute Board of Trustees
- 2007 No award was presented in 2007
- 2006 Condoleezza Rice, former United States Secretary of State
- 2005 William Budinger, Founder, Rodel Inc.
- 2004 Michael Powell, former Chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, and member of the TripleCrown Class of Henry Crown Fellows. Michael was the first Henry Crown Fellow to receive this award
- 2003 Patty Stonesifer, Co-Chair and President of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- 2002 Jimmy Carter, thirty-ninth president of the United States
- 2001 Dr. William J. Perry, professor at Stanford University, senior fellow at the Hoover Institution, and co-director of the Preventative Defense Project. Among his many accomplishments, Dr. Perry served as the 19th Secretary of Defense for the United States from 1994 to 1997.
- 2000 Sen. George J. Mitchell, former Majority Leader of the United States Senate
- 1999 Gen. Colin L. Powell, USA (Ret.), founding chairman of America’s Promise – The Alliance for Youth and former U.S. Secretary of State
- 1998 Norman R. Augustine, former vice chairman and chief executive officer of Lockheed Martin Corporation and Professor at Princeton University
- 1997 Robert W. Galvin, chairman of the executive committee of Motorola, Inc.