Supporting Communities Leading Through COVID-19
The communities we serve have continued to mobilize in response to COVID-19 and the damage that has rippled throught society. To support and maintain the vitality of the work on the ground, we are expanding our programs and services. Learn how you can partner in our efforts.
Meeting the urgency of the moment, Ana Maria Vallarino, Miky Fabrega, Ana Lucrecia Tovar, and 10 other Central America Leadership Initiative Fellows came together to create #TODOPANAMA, a civic, cross-sector movement that served more than 1,700 Covid-positive patients by supporting their families with food and basic supplies, distributed 500,000 masks and face shields nationwide, and raised $3.3+ million dollars for public health awareness. The movement was featured by the World Health Organization as a country case study for its intersectional approach.
Communities of Action
The Aspen Institute is the catalyst to the many processes that enable people to flourish and thrive, starting with the creation of human relationships. Our programs create communities of people – young and old – who are willing and able to make an impact in the lives of others. In this time, our focus is on being of service to these communities and identifying ways to address their needs:
- Building Resiliency: We are creating ways for adults and young people to remain resilient and feel agency over their situations, despite the adversity they face, by connecting them with the resources, tools, and inspiration they need to lead through uncertainty.
- Connecting Problem Solvers: We are enabling problem-solvers from around the world to collaborate and fill the gaps left by other institutions and address the effects of COVID-19 in their communities.
- Uplifting Voices: We are accelerating efforts to amplify the voices of overlooked communities by offering the platforms we have grown over our 70-year history to add underrepresented perspectives and concerns to critical conversations about the future.
- Weaving Trust and Strengthening Communities: As the pandemic starkly highlighted the unequal consequences in a world divided by race, wealth, and geography, we are connecting and supporting people who are working to bring their communities together in mutual dignity, respect, and direct aid.
- Preparing for the Future: We are creating spaces that enable leaders in all parts of society to productively – and actively – explore what it will take to rebuild society and ensure that what comes next is more fair, just, and equitable.