United States and global leaders to address urgent national security and foreign policy challenges in Aspen, CO, Forum produced in partnership with NBC News
Contact: Jon Purves
Associate Director, Media Relations
The Aspen Institute
Washington, DC, June 27, 2022 –– The Aspen Strategy Group today announced the speaker lineup for the 2022 Aspen Security Forum, which returns as an in-person forum in Aspen, CO, taking place July 19-22. The annual event features current and former U.S. government officials, foreign ministers and ambassadors, business leaders, key academics, and prominent journalists.
Panel discussions and one-on-one interviews will address the most critical national security and foreign policy issues facing the U.S. and the global community, including challenges posed by Russia, security policy in the Indo-Pacific, the future of NATO, energy policy and global supply chains, emerging international and domestic threats and much more.
Anchors and correspondents from NBC News, the exclusive media partner of the 2022 Aspen Security Forum, will participate throughout the program. Participating journalists include NBC News Chief Foreign Affairs Correspondent and Chief Washington Correspondent Andrea Mitchell, NBC News Pentagon Correspondent Courtney Kube, and more.
Confirmed speakers include:
- The Honorable Wally Adeyemo, Deputy Secretary of the Treasury, U.S. Department of the Treasury
- Mr. Vladimir Ashurkov, Executive Director, Anti-Corruption Foundation
- General Charles Q. Brown Jr., Chief of Staff of the Air Force, U.S. Air Force
- William J. Burns, Director, Central Intelligence Agency
- General Richard D. Clarke, Commander, U.S. Special Operations Command
- Dr. Elizabeth Economy, Senior Fellow, Hoover Institution, Stanford University
- Secretary Mark Esper, 27th U.S. Secretary of Defense, U.S. Department of Defense
- Senator Joni Ernst, Senator for Iowa, and Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Emerging Threats and Capabilities, Senate Armed Services Committee
- The Honorable Michèle Flournoy, Former Under Secretary of Defense for Policy, U.S. Department of Defense, and Co-Founder and Managing Partner, WestExec Advisors
- General Charles A. Flynn, Commanding General, U.S. Army Pacific
- His Excellency Benjamin Gantz, Defense Minister, Ministry of Defense, Israel
- Secretary Robert Gates, 22nd U.S. Secretary of Defense, U.S. Department of Defense, and Principal, Rice, Hadley, Gates & Manuel LLC
- The Honorable Steve Hadley, 20th U.S. National Security Advisor, and Principal, Rice, Hadley, Gates & Manuel LLC
- The Honorable Jane Harman, Former Congresswoman (CA-36), and Distinguished Fellow and President Emerita, Wilson Center
- Dr. Fiona Hill, Senior Fellow, Center on the United States and Europe, Brookings Institution
- Secretary Frank Kendall, 26th U.S. Secretary of the Air Force, U.S. Air Force
- Ambassador Martin Kimani, Permanent Representative of Kenya to the United Nations
- The Honorable Mikk Marran, Director-General, Estonian Foreign Intelligence Service
- Ambassador Ashok Mirpuri, Ambassador of Singapore to the United States
- The Honorable Lisa Monaco, 39th Deputy Attorney General, U.S. Department of Justice
- Dr. Joe Nye, University Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus and Former Dean, Harvard Kennedy School, Harvard University
- The Honorable Meghan O’Sullivan, Former Deputy National Security Advisor for Iraq and Afghanistan, and Jeane Kirkpatrick Professor of the Practice of International Affairs, Harvard Kennedy School, Harvard University
- Secretary Penny Pritzker, 38th U.S. Secretary of Commerce, U.S. Department of Commerce, and Founder and Chairman of PSP Partners
- The Honorable Marcin Przydacz, Deputy Foreign Minister, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Republic of Poland
- Ambassador Qin Gang, Ambassador of the People’s Republic of China to the United States
- General John “Jay” Raymond, Chief of Space Operations, United States Space Force
- Secretary Condoleezza Rice, 66th U.S. Secretary of State, U.S. Department of State, and Director, Hoover Institution
- General Laura Richardson, Commander, U.S. Southern Command
- Dr. Eric Schmidt, Former Chief Executive Officer and Chairman, Google, and Chairman, National Security Commission on Artificial Intelligence
- Rear Admiral Lorin Selby, Chief of Naval Research, U.S. Navy
- Dr. Rajiv Shah, Former Administrator, United States Agency for International Development, and President, The Rockefeller Foundation
- His Excellency Andrew Shearer, Director-General, Office of National Intelligence, Australia
- The Honorable Dr. Anne-Marie Slaughter, Former Director of Policy Planning, U.S. State Department, and CEO, New America
- The Honorable Jake Sullivan, 28th U.S. National Security Advisor
- Secretary Lawrence H. Summers, 71st U.S. Secretary of the Treasury, U.S. Department of the Treasury, and Charles W. Eliot University Professor, Harvard Kennedy School, Harvard University
- General Glen D. VanHerck, Commander, North American Aerospace Defense Command and U.S. Northern Command
- Senator Mark Warner, Senator for Virginia, and Chairman, Senate Select Committee on Intelligence
- The Honorable Robert Zoellick, Former U.S. Trade Representative, and Chairman, Alliance Bernstein L.P.
And many other distinguished speakers.
The speaker and moderator list, which is subject to change, is available to view here. Additional speakers will be announced in the coming weeks.
The Aspen Security Forum is set to become a biannual event, with an added forum planned to take place in Washington, DC, from December 7-8, 2022.
Editor’s Note: Sessions from the Aspen Security Forum will be livestreamed. Reporters with questions about the Forum and those interested in broadcasting footage, please contact Jon Purves: Jon.Purves@aspeninstitute.org.
The Forum is generously supported by Google, the Mastercard Center for Inclusive Growth, McKinsey & Co., Microsoft, MITRE, and The Rockefeller Foundation, along with American Airlines, Intel, and Peraton.
The Aspen Strategy Group’s mission is to convene decision makers in resolutely non-partisan public and private forums to address key foreign policy challenges facing the United States. The ASG organizes its annual Summer Workshop, hosts Track II dialogues, and presents the annual Aspen Security Forum where domestic and foreign government officials, business executives, leading academics, and noted journalists convene for three and a half days to discuss solutions to the most pressing national security and foreign policy challenges of our time. As a part of the Aspen Strategy Group’s commitment to cultivating the next generation of leaders in national security and foreign policy, the third pillar of its work is the Rising Leaders Program for young professionals.
About NBCUniversal News Group: More Americans watch NBC News, MSNBC and CNBC than any news organization in the world. NBC News’ leading and award-winning television news broadcasts include TODAY, NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt, Meet the Press with Chuck Todd and Dateline NBC. MSNBC is the #2 network across all of cable and the premiere destination for breaking news, award-winning content, in-depth analysis and informed perspectives. CNBC is the recognized world leader in business news and provides real-time financial market coverage, business and general news content, and primetime reality programming, consumed by more than 557 million people per month across all platforms. The rapidly-growing NBC News Digital Group – including its streaming news services NBC News NOW and TODAY All Day – and the network’s award-winning original podcast and audio unit provide continuous content to consumers wherever they are, whenever they want it