Financial Security Program
At the Aspen Institute Financial Security Program, we leverage human insights and entrepreneurial thinking to find policies, products, and services that deliver greater financial security for millions of Americans. We’re connecting the world’s best minds to find breakthrough solutions for America’s family financial security crisis.
Through strategic convenings and dialogues, we provide a dedicated forum where experts in policy and banking work closely with academic and community leaders to strengthen the financial stability of American families.
We aim for nothing less than a more inclusive economy, with reduced inequality and shared prosperity.
The Aspen Institute Financial Security Program aims to:
- Make Americans’ financial security a top national priority
- Galvanize leaders in the public, private and nonprofit sectors
- Innovate and advance bold solutions
- Amplify important voices to marshal the forces of change
- Build bipartisan consensus for federal, state and marketplace action
To achieve this we:
- Connect networks of leaders across sectors and disciplines
- Inspire creative and unconventional thinking
- Synthesize knowledge and data to find the best ideas
- Advance promising policy and market solutions
- Cultivate enlightened leadership to fuel progress
Every day, more than 50 million Americans live in or near financial crisis. Financial instability has gone mainstream, threatening our economy and our democracy.
- Widening wealth gaps based on age, education and race
- Low- and moderate-income families lost two decades of wealth
- Wages and living standards have stagnated
- The median wealth of black households is one-tenth that of whites’
- Women’s wealth is one-third that of men’s
- College debt has reached record highs
- Too many Americans have no retirement savings or pensions
- Nearly 1 in 2 adults could not pay an unexpected $400 expense
But these problems are solvable.
We can improve financial security for millions of Americans.